Will this pass for my coolant drain?

Re: Tech clarifications, oil filters and bellypans

Will this pass for my coolant drain?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

^^^

Yep, I can live with both of those examples. I recommend .032" wire for both of these locations, especially the oil fill. It looks like you have, but can't confirm that from the pix.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

^^^

Yep, I can live with both of those examples. I recommend .032" wire for both of these locations, especially the oil fill. It looks like you have, but can't confirm that from the pix.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    Former CMRA Staffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

Yep, I can live with both of those examples. I recommend .032&quot; wire for both of these locations, especially the oil fill. It looks like you have, but can't confirm that from the pix. </div></div>

I checked my safety wire and it's only .028&quot; so I'll redo with the .032&quot;... Any other places that the .032&quot; is preferred/recommended?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

Yep, I can live with both of those examples. I recommend .032&quot; wire for both of these locations, especially the oil fill. It looks like you have, but can't confirm that from the pix. </div></div>

I checked my safety wire and it's only .028&quot; so I'll redo with the .032&quot;... Any other places that the .032&quot; is preferred/recommended?

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">i dont know if its a big deal or not,but you're<span style="color: #FF0000"> releasing </span>preasure on that clamp buddy.i would prolly turn it around or go around the neck.</span></span>
    Joe Rodriguez

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">i dont know if its a big deal or not,but you're<span style="color: #FF0000"> releasing </span>preasure on that clamp buddy.i would prolly turn it around or go around the neck.</span></span>
    Joe Rodriguez

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaun Goins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

I checked my safety wire and it's only .028&quot; so I'll redo with the .032&quot;... Any other places that the .032&quot; is preferred/recommended? </div></div>

I wouldn't sweat it unless you have some .032 available. Lots of people use wire as small as .020 and that's fine, although I don't recommend that for oil fills, oil drains and oil filters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe rodriguez</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">i dont know if its a big deal or not,but you're<span style="color: #FF0000"> releasing </span>preasure on that clamp buddy.i would prolly turn it around or go around the neck.</span></span> </div></div>

These types of safety-pin style retaining pins seldom present themselves as issues, but ideally Joe is correct. The best solution is to simply use wire. You didn't buy yourself any time or convenience if one of these retaining devices fails and allows your oil fill to come loose and cause havoc.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaun Goins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

I checked my safety wire and it's only .028&quot; so I'll redo with the .032&quot;... Any other places that the .032&quot; is preferred/recommended? </div></div>

I wouldn't sweat it unless you have some .032 available. Lots of people use wire as small as .020 and that's fine, although I don't recommend that for oil fills, oil drains and oil filters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe rodriguez</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">i dont know if its a big deal or not,but you're<span style="color: #FF0000"> releasing </span>preasure on that clamp buddy.i would prolly turn it around or go around the neck.</span></span> </div></div>

These types of safety-pin style retaining pins seldom present themselves as issues, but ideally Joe is correct. The best solution is to simply use wire. You didn't buy yourself any time or convenience if one of these retaining devices fails and allows your oil fill to come loose and cause havoc.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    Former CMRA Staffer