Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lap time minimums?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coffey View Post
    If someone runs a 3:06 on a big bike in a big bike class, they shouldn't be allowed to race... lol
    We can't make a great club focusing on ruling people out.

The right answer is to welcome and mentor, not police and exclude.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Mitch,
    Sorry to see what you went through and to hear your frustration. Have been in similar situations, and our competitive nature is understandable in this topic.
    You were in a good pace there and it's definitely understandable on those little bikes, that every bike-length matters for a competitor to get away from you, coming upon slower traffic impeding on your lap(s).
    From the video, it does not really look like lap-time duration was the issue for this Prov Nov, but the Prov Nov simply not being truly comfortable on the bike and able to respond to a situation of what occurred here. That rider, it appears did get very spooked by the pass ahead of you, completely went off-line and straight at the opposing curb (instead of leaning right) and you were just unfortunately behind to receive this result.
    It was a tough spot for the move you were making and as pursuing your opponent, and there's no way you should have expected that Prov Nov to have panicked so radically, and at that pace.
    As was mentioned about the certification instructors, and how they try to prepare riders in the Prov Nov class, this may / should be valuable training material for them, and of course for the tenured CMRA racers as well.
    YouTube "N7HEVN"
    2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2016, #628

Status
    Expert
    I have to agree with Jim, the prov nov just needs some coaching unfortunately it caused Mitchell to crash; I'm hoping both of you are okay. Did the other rider even crash?

Mitchell was on the race line and the prov nov didn't turn. As racers we assume at the very least the inexperienced rider will follow the track but in this case I do think the inside pass spooked him or her a bit and the rider was content with going straight not knowing another rider was anticipating they were going to turn.

I agree with some earlier posts about emphasizing HOLDING YOUR LINE to that particular rider. I'm sure this is covered at length but maybe this rider needs to go over it again.
    Peace,
    bt racer #20
    desert brats #3
    www.desert-rats.net

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coffey View Post

I think some of this stems all the way back to track day schools. I know of a school in particular that rushes to move people up levels so they can sell more seats, that will also pass anyone that pays for the cmra class.
    Seems like a loaded statement. Who are we talking about?
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Thomas View Post
    I have to agree with Jim, the prov nov just needs some coaching unfortunately it caused Mitchell to crash; I'm hoping both of you are okay. Did the other rider even crash?

Mitchell was on the race line and the prov nov didn't turn. As racers we assume at the very least the inexperienced rider will follow the track but in this case I do think the inside pass spooked him or her a bit and the rider was content with going straight not knowing another rider was anticipating they were going to turn.

I agree with some earlier posts about emphasizing HOLDING YOUR LINE to that particular rider. I'm sure this is covered at length but maybe this rider needs to go over it again.
    The prov nob did not crash, thankfully he was able to continue and get some of his requirements done. As for me I have a sore elbow with a little rash, the bike on the other hand looks like it needs some work. Everything behind the steering stem seems to be functional and ok, but I honestly have been to busy with work and personal things to check it out yet. I believe this will most likely finish off my year, but I may try my 636 at cresson. Need to save money for next year. Maybe if it isn't as bad as it looks I may still pull off one more race this year, but it is doubtful.

Something I would like to get across is that I didn't want to bring in personal items into the discussion, hell i didn't even post the video. Plus I didn't want to call the racer out on this (though after it happened on Saturday it crossed my mind a time or two). I followed his build on another forum and have seen his experience in the past. I believe one day at Hallet and the day prior to this past weekend at TWS to get his license. I know it didn't even cross my mind to race at that point, nor did feel my skill level was anywhere near what it needed to be, and I started on the 250. So this thread was start a discussion about how others are verified that they safe and knowledgable about on track interactions and the race line. If that means someone has to be told to get a little more practice before racing, maybe that's what needs to be done, but I don't instruct or work for an affiliate who instructs. That's not my call, but if I bring awareness about the situation as a member of the club, then that is part of my basic rights as member.
    Last edited by Mitchell Klein; 07-31-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I've always wondered if being involved in one of those "ProvNov splitter" moves is part of the required rites of passage anyway. It happens all the time, because front runners tend to end up in a battle toward the end of a race, which is just about the time the ProvNov lapping happens.

Danny Dominguez and Daniel Adams did it to me going to ricochet (MSR) on my last PN race, and made me feel like a construction cone. Danny went inside, and Adams went around the outside right before I flicked in and brushed my elbow and leg, then flicked in with NO room left and then blasted into the turn behind Danny.

It scared by balls off, but it was the coolest thing ever...I came off the track with the stupidest grin.

Status
    Expert
    Hey Mitchell,
    I'm in Dallas, if ya need a hand getting your bike fixed shoot me a pm.
    brad
    Peace,
    bt racer #20
    desert brats #3
    www.desert-rats.net

Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Felio View Post
    I've always wondered if being involved in one of those "ProvNov splitter" moves is part of the required rites of passage anyway. It happens all the time, because front runners tend to end up in a battle toward the end of a race, which is just about the time the ProvNov lapping happens.

Danny Dominguez and Daniel Adams did it to me going to ricochet (MSR) on my last PN race, and made me feel like a construction cone. Danny went inside, and Adams went around the outside right before I flicked in and brushed my elbow and leg, then flicked in with NO room left and then blasted into the turn behind Danny.

It scared by balls off, but it was the coolest thing ever...I came off the track with the stupidest grin.
    being a "back of the pack-er" myself, that often happens in my races on the SV650... I'm glad those guys are confident that I will maintain my line!!
    Dean "Sparky" Darnell
    former owner, #91 BootLeggers LWE
    Former #912 Novice , but still "Fat guy on a small bike"

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Thomas View Post
    Hey Mitchell,
    I'm in Dallas, if ya need a hand getting your bike fixed shoot me a pm.
    brad
    +1, give a holler if you need a hand! 20 minutes up to Allen with no rush-hour traffic.
    Come on DeSimone, you're right there too! ;)
    YouTube "N7HEVN"
    2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2016, #628

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gilstrap View Post
    +1, give a holler if you need a hand! 20 minutes up to Allen with no rush-hour traffic.
    Come on DeSimone, you're right there too! ;)
    Unfortunately, I'm not right now.