Thread: WTB R6 Side Stand eliminator switch

WTB R6 Side Stand eliminator switch

Ordered one from STG but they seem to be shipping slow these days, need one for Cresson this upcoming weekend.

18 R6.

Status
    Novice
    STG took me 2 weeks to get knee sliders they showed to have in stock. I feel your pain

If you have even basic electrical skills, you can make one yourself. Normally there are two wires going to the side stand. Cut them and strip the ends. If you don't have a wire stripper, careful usage of a utility knife works just fine. Depending on the logic of the switch - i.e. power flows through the switch when stand is down vs. power flows through when it's up - you can either twist the two wires together or run one of them to a 5v source somewhere else on your bike. Most bikes use positive logic. When the kickstand is up, a circuit is completed and a small amount of current flows through, telling the ECU things are good to go. I'd recommend just twisting those wires together and seeing if your bike shifts out of neutral. If it doesn't, you've got the easiest case. Just wrap the ends in electrical tape and find a way to secure them. If you want to be super careful, put a dab of silicon or something on the ends of the wires first. If creating a short circuit does work, head to your neighborhood hardware store and buy a butt connector. If you're fancy, you can buy some male/female connectors so you can easily undo your work if you so desire. Crimp the ends of the two wires into there and you're good. If you don't have a crimper, needle nose pliers can work, you'll just have to have some serious grip strength. Give the wires a good tug to ensure they're snug. Then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape to provide a little extra safety and to keep grime and water out. You're done!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Yup. Two wires = not that many possibilities. I didn't even know a product for that existed...

I will burn down my house making toast, I dont play with lectricity on modern bikes. I got one on time from Woodcraft on time, the STG showed up same day, they are swamped , a good problem to have I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Rossner View Post
    If you have even basic electrical skills, you can make one yourself. Normally there are two wires going to the side stand. Cut them and strip the ends. If you don't have a wire stripper, careful usage of a utility knife works just fine. Depending on the logic of the switch - i.e. power flows through the switch when stand is down vs. power flows through when it's up - you can either twist the two wires together or run one of them to a 5v source somewhere else on your bike. Most bikes use positive logic. When the kickstand is up, a circuit is completed and a small amount of current flows through, telling the ECU things are good to go. I'd recommend just twisting those wires together and seeing if your bike shifts out of neutral. If it doesn't, you've got the easiest case. Just wrap the ends in electrical tape and find a way to secure them. If you want to be super careful, put a dab of silicon or something on the ends of the wires first. If creating a short circuit does work, head to your neighborhood hardware store and buy a butt connector. If you're fancy, you can buy some male/female connectors so you can easily undo your work if you so desire. Crimp the ends of the two wires into there and you're good. If you don't have a crimper, needle nose pliers can work, you'll just have to have some serious grip strength. Give the wires a good tug to ensure they're snug. Then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape to provide a little extra safety and to keep grime and water out. You're done!