Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermoto in CMRA Practice

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Supermoto in CMRA Practice

Asking here incase another Supermoto-riding chap is thinking the same.

If I turned up on a Supermoto for a laugh and rode up into the lightweight classes, D Superstock, F2, where would a Supermoto practice - in heavyweight or ULW? The club made the change last year to move Lightweight bikes - SV's up into Heavyweight practice / Expert/Novice.

Supermoto won't keep up with an SV in the straights, not even close, but it has more power to weight ratio than a ninja 400.

I'm not suggesting we bring back a class for these bikes, just want to know where they would fit in practice sessions. I'm not thinking it's safe to put a bike slower than an SV in with heavyweight bikes, and I'm sure those on a 200hp bike would rather not be coming up on bike topping out not much over 100mph.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

500gp and 500 superbike legal (for now) is what Walter said. I would think it would practice with those bikes...

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Are you bringing yours?

I was rereading that thread now - http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread...-clarifiaction

Rule book has:
    500 GP (Expert/Novice)
    Up to 500cc 4-stroke twins, based on GP rules
    Must be based on US Production Machines
    500 Superbike, 500 Superstock (Expert/Novice)
    Up to 500cc 4-stroke twins
    250 Superbike machines allowed in both classes

So, no singles per rule book...but sounds like Walter made an exception for Round 1 based on that forum post, I think? I'm fine if Supermoto is only allowed to ride-up on the twin classes, ie SV classes, just don't really think it's safe to be practicing on a supermoto with 60hp (if yer lucky) against 200hp bikes.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    That’s correct. Well give it a try and see how it goes. Final decision after the first round.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Apparently there are no rules, so just build your bikes as much as you can. May the richest pockets win! That sounds like fun. Don’t worry about me, I’m not wasting my time or money this year.
    Pirelli

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Craig, it’s an expensive sport so there’s always going to be a bit of that. Superstock classes I believe are meant to level the playing field. What is more important is that our class structure evolves to meet the market demand, which the club has made progress on. Director of Competition simply can’t make everyone happy but acts in the best interests of the sport IMO.

I asked a question about Supermoto class eligibility, the class was killed because grids averaged at 2 bikes per race and that’s a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig T. Hasselman View Post
    Apparently there are no rules, so just build your bikes as much as you can. May the richest pockets win! That sounds like fun. Don’t worry about me, I’m not wasting my time or money this year.
    Craig,

Your post seems a bit out of the blue and out of context with the question above. Help me understand what's got you knotted up.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Craig,

Your post seems a bit out of the blue and out of context with the question above. Help me understand what's got you knotted up.
    Sorry Walter. I guess I’m just bummed out that I can’t race this season. It is what it is. Maybe I’m just jelly. Best of luck to everyone this year. Go fast and don’t crash.
    Pirelli

Quote Originally Posted by Rab McNaught View Post
    Rule book has:
    500 GP (Expert/Novice)
    Up to 500cc 4-stroke twins, based on GP rules
    Must be based on US Production Machines
    500 Superbike, 500 Superstock (Expert/Novice)
    Up to 500cc 4-stroke twins
    250 Superbike machines allowed in both classes
    Did anyone show up with a built Aprilia sxv450?

I've never ridden a race prepped 500 but going from the specs the SXV450 could be competitive in 500gp.

allowing a single, new or old, in the right configuration...it will have a significant advantage on paper. weight, hp, etc...etc... As much as things change, they stay the same. I'm am uncertain how many bikes I have seen try and be "indexed" into a class to then be kicked out. They seems to last the season and win...I can think of one that clearly should have never been allowed while I was accused of whining, etc...etc...for the bike to win a Championship, then be ruled illegal for the class the very next year. Yes, Walter has a tough job deciding what's right and wrong for some of the classes, but sometimes it's ok to say no and sometimes it's a no brainer.