Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prov-Nov needing help with getting bike ready to pass tech

Bike #

Prov-Nov needing help with getting bike ready to pass tech

I've finally decided to take the plunge and give racing a try so I need to get my bike, a '15 Daytona 675, properly configured to pass tech when I finally do my first sprint race hopefully in August or September. I've got a lot of questions so I'd like to apologize ahead of time for this. I don't really have any friends who race who I could ask for help and I don't know where else to get help.

So, here goes... I've been doing track days for a handful of years now and have always wired my oil drain, fill, and dipstick plugs as well as the oil filter with a hose clamp around it that is then wired to the drain plug. I've long since flushed the coolant and replaced with water wetter so I think I'm legal here. Since there are quite a few things that need to be done to be fully race legal, I was hoping to get some advice about what are some of the things that I'm missing especially from guys who may have/had a Daytona 675 race bike.

Here's a full list of what I can think of that needs to be done. Some of the things I've already done and others I'm still trying to figure out...

Body/Controls/Electronics
    • Removed side stand
    • Replaced OEM Steering damper
    • Installed ArmourBodies race fairing with DZUS fasteners. I have had to cut a notch in the belly panel to allow the exhaust to clear it but I've been told that it should pass. I suppose I should do the "will it hold 3 quarts of fluid" test to be sure?
    • Installed brake lever guard
    • Bought wet race light -- I read a post from Rab in which he stated that he uses bicycle tail lights that aren't hardwired into the bike. I went ahead and bought one on Amazon but I'm pretty stumped about how to mount it to the tail. I don't want to drill it since water could get in it... I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to how to mount this...

Safety Wiring
    • Front caliper bolts wired together
    • Fork pinch bolts wired together
    • Front axle (wired together with pinch bolts)
    • Rear axle nut (using a safety wire clip; wired to drilled point on swingarm)
    • Oil drain (using a safety wire clip which the rulebook says is not legal so I will remove it and directly wire it)
    • Oil Filter (hose clamp wrapped around filter; wired together with oil drain plug, _not_ a drilled point on the engine/block/pan/whatever though... Is this required?)
    • Oil Fill (using a safety wire clip)
    • Oil dipstick (using a safety wire clip; wired together with oil fill)
    • Radiator cap (wired to fairing stay bracket)

I'm pretty sure that I still need to do the following:
    • CMRA & "GP Shift" stickers -- Can be picked up at the event?
    • Novice Race #s for bike and helmet -- Got a set from 212Decals that should be CMRA-legal
    • Rear caliper???? Not sure how to do this on a 2013+ Daytona... There aren't exposed bolts to wire unlike the 2006-2012 Daytonas...
    • Oil cooler??? I'm afraid I'm too ignorant to identify this. I've been going by this diagram (on the previous generation Daytona) and will try to adapt it to my Daytona: https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14651
    • Coolant drain bolts??? The service manual states to loosen the hose clamp on the lowest coolant hose and then pull free the coolant line to drain. I'm not even sure where the drain bolt is. I recall on previous bikes there was a special bolt that had a copper washer that you would loosen to drain the coolant. Is this what I should look for?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Best -
    Robert

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The oil fill and dipstick need to be directly wired (no clips). The coolant drain will be somewhere on the water pump cover and usually will have a crush washer under it. The rear caliper are to be done if they have exposed bolt heads. If not we can advise what to do in tech. Numbers can be from anyone as long as the meet rulebook requirements. I would wire the radiator cap to the frame or motor and not the stay. Stays tend to break off and would not want the rad cap to be involved.
    CMRA Asst. Race Director/Safety Officer/Medical Liaison/Outrider
    CMRA BoD Member 2018-2023
    Ex#29

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jones View Post
    [*]CMRA & "GP Shift" stickers -- Can be picked up at the event?
    Pick them up in tech.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Bike #
    Thanks for the pointers guys. So I guess my best bet would be to show up at a race weekend where I either run sprints on Sunday or corner work on Saturday (I've already done my Sunday corner working) and then use the other day to bring the bike by tech for a "practice" tech inspection? That way I would have enough time to bring the bike back to my trailer and make whatever changes are specified by the tech inspector. I don't see how else I can do it because when I did my corner working last time it took all day and so I don't think I would have time to get the bike inspected before having to go to my corner station and I certainly don't want to try and wait until race day to have my bike inspected for the first time and realize that I need to make quite a few changes--I don't like being rushed and I'm going to be a mess on my first race day...

Also, I apologize for what's probably a rather dumb question, but can I bring my bike in for a tech inspection at any point throughout the race day or is there a fixed window of time during which I can only have my bike inspected?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jones View Post
    Thanks for the pointers guys. So I guess my best bet would be to show up at a race weekend where I either run sprints on Sunday or corner work on Saturday (I've already done my Sunday corner working) and then use the other day to bring the bike by tech for a "practice" tech inspection? That way I would have enough time to bring the bike back to my trailer and make whatever changes are specified by the tech inspector. I don't see how else I can do it because when I did my corner working last time it took all day and so I don't think I would have time to get the bike inspected before having to go to my corner station and I certainly don't want to try and wait until race day to have my bike inspected for the first time and realize that I need to make quite a few changes--I don't like being rushed and I'm going to be a mess on my first race day...

Also, I apologize for what's probably a rather dumb question, but can I bring my bike in for a tech inspection at any point throughout the race day or is there a fixed window of time during which I can only have my bike inspected?
    You can take your bike to inspection anytime inspection is open. You must bring your completed tech form.
    Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Where in Houston are you, Robert? I am sure one of us lives close by, and can help.
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Robert,

If you have any more question regarding bike prep or anything else give me a call and I'll be happy to answer them.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by dean webster View Post
    Where in Houston are you, Robert? I am sure one of us lives close by, and can help.
    What he said..

Bike #
    I live in the loop in the Rice Military neighborhood though I keep my track day trailer, gear, etc about 30 minutes north of town.

My current plan is to register for 2 sprint races at MSRC on Sunday and come up Friday night which would give me all Saturday to get my bike all sorted and ready for tech. I suppose I will need to check to see if I will be allowed to park my trailer and camp overnight Friday and Saturday even though I've only registered for Sunday events. If not I'm sure I can find an RV park nearby and drive in on Saturday afternoon.

I think the most pressing questions I have are around the wet race light and how to mount it as well as how to wire the rear caliper. I've been asking around with other guys who have a 2013+ Daytona and I've yet to find anyone who has the caliper wired up so I'm not sure what I can do for it.

Pay the gate fee on Friday and you should be good to camp there till Sunday.

Get some good/strong Velcro or double sided tape for the rain light. I used a Dremel tool on the bicycle light to give it a nice flat surface area to bond and hold to.