Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Announcement / 2020 AMA Sanctioning & Membership Requirement

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Palmore View Post
    FYI - CMRA promotional code still isn't active.
    I second that. I'm trying to renew my membership and join the AMA. Would love a promo code (if it's still applicable).

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I see now why the English lost the revolutionary war!
    Rune Medhus
    CMRA Expert #36
    Ducati 1198s
    HSBK Racing

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Vo View Post
    I second that. I'm trying to renew my membership and join the AMA. Would love a promo code (if it's still applicable).
    I’ll check on it tomorrow.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    What is the AMA doing for you?

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...d-in-congress/

Recognize the rider?

The AMA does the following:

1. Support of the RPM ACT, a bill in the Senate. (Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports). Will protect and preserve the right to convert (all motorized) vehicles to competition purposes only and not make this conversion/activity illegal. (As stated above).

2. Recognize and preserve the right to convert exhaust systems to track purposes only (against an EPA request to a make this illegal).

3. Ensure that automated vehicles are designed in such a way to recognize motorcycles appropriately during operation.

4. Legislated and continue to legislate against motorcycle profiling. Are you aware that in some states there are/have been motorcycle only check points? This is a result of the ongoing belief that motorcyclists are by and large unregistered and or uninsured.

5. Support the continued use of public lands for motorcycles and ATVs. How long do you think the major manufacturers would stay in the US if they couldn’t sell dirt bikes?

6. Lobbied against the tariffs that would have imposed a 100% tariff on motorcycles manufactured in Europe. A proposed tariff that was a result of a dispute between EU aircraft parts manufacturers and the US.

So more than just a great tow service.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The AMA clearly offers services to the individual for their membership; I don't think anyone's questioning that. The point that has been made is that those member benefits were/are available to everyone in the past present and future without the recent new club policy.

The question on the table is what benefits does the AMA offer TO THE CLUB as an organization that justifies the new policy?

From what I can see, those benefits to the club are:
    1. Some level of "legitimacy" and rules commonality.
    2. A direct path to MotoAmerica competition by club members. (Note that although this is technically a member benefit rather than a club benefit, it is included because individuals cannot obtain this benefit by simply joining the AMA by themselves. Also the club may benefit by it being an attraction to draw in potential members and/or keep existing members.)

Are there other benefits TO THE CLUB that should be listed?

Sent using Tapatalk
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I give up. You win.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Wasn't trying to win. I was trying to clarify. I'm solidly behind the CMRA, including asking questions and pointing out where I feel we've maybe gone astray in an effort to keep this club the best it can be. I appreciate others' opinions on critical topics like this.

Thank you.

Sent using Tapatalk
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    David, truly not an attempt at sarcasm.
    Here (post#85) you are restating what was clearly listed in the initial announcement/post#1.
    In post #84 Joe noted additional benefits.
    I'm struggling to understand what you mean by "TO THE CLUB" that has not already been listed?

THE CLUB = License Holders = motorcyclists - refer to post#1 & 84.
    Harry Tomlinson #24
    GMAN Racing
    CMRA BOD 1998-9, 2006-9, 2012-3, 2017-9

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Very much appreciated Harry, and not taken as sarcasm at all. And the same in this response.

IMHO, there is a communication gap here in addition to differences of opinion. I'd like to at least just get it down to the actual differences in opinion. Let me see if I can put this in terms of the discussion between the PROS (those in favor of the new policy) and the CONS (those opposed). I put it this way ONLY for clarity, not to poke fun at either side.

CONS: What does this do for THE CLUB (as opposed to for individuals)?"

PROS: [List of benefits, for example post #1]

CONS: I was free to join the AMA and get (nearly) all of those benefits before. What justifies me being *required* to be an AMA member to race in the CMRA? There should be benefits that are specific to the club, or that are not obtainable by individuals merely joining on their own to justify the club making this a requirement.

PROS: Joseph Caruso's (well-intentioned) post #84? that lists all the benefits, which are mostly *not* club-specific.

I'm afraid we're just talking past each other. Therefore, I tried to honestly list the club-specific benefits, and asked for additions if I had missed any. I believe that there is honest disagreement on the value of those benefits and whether they justify the club requirement to join the AMA. But those are just differences of opinion, however strong. Let's at least try to understand each other's position.

I can't speak for all the CONS (and yes I am one), but no matter how excellent those individual benefits are, they in no way justify the club requirement to join. That is a decision I can make for myself. I would think we would all agree on that point, but if not, please let me know because that helps me understand where you're coming from. I understand that the individual benefits may help justify the cost, but they do not help justify the requirement.

I have already stated that I personally don't think those club benefits are worth the club requirement to join, but I can understand others feeling differently. I understand that even though in my 19 years in the club, I think I have only personally known one person to race in a single AMA/MA race, there are a significant minority of the club that do pursue that path each year. And there are marketing advantages to the CMRA being a direct pathway to MA racing.

Respectfully,
    Last edited by David Branyon; 12-18-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    David B.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by David Branyon View Post
    Very much appreciated Harry, and not taken as sarcasm at all. And the same in this response.

IMHO, there is a communication gap here in addition to differences of opinion. I'd like to at least just get it down to the actual differences in opinion. Let me see if I can put this in terms of the discussion between the PROS (those in favor of the new policy) and the CONS (those opposed). I put it this way ONLY for clarity, not to poke fun at either side.

CONS: What does this do for THE CLUB (as opposed to for individuals)?"

PROS: [List of benefits, for example post #1]

CONS: I was free to join the AMA and get (nearly) all of those benefits before. What justifies me being *required* to be an AMA member to race in the CMRA? There should be benefits that are specific to the club, or that are not obtainable by individuals merely joining on their own to justify the club making this a requirement.

PROS: Joseph Caruso's (well-intentioned) post #84? that lists all the requirements, which are mostly *not* club-specific.

I'm afraid we're just talking past each other. Therefore, I tried to honestly list the club-specific benefits, and asked for additions if I had missed any. I believe that there is honest disagreement on the value of those benefits and whether they justify the club requirement to join the AMA. But those are just differences of opinion, however strong. Let's at least try to understand each other's position.

I can't speak for all the CONS (and yes I am one), but no matter how excellent those individual benefits are, they in no way justify the club requirement to join. That is a decision I can make for myself. I would think we would all agree on that point, but if not, please let me know because that helps me understand where you're coming from. I understand that the individual benefits may help justify the cost, but they do not help justify the requirement.

I have already stated that I personally don't think those club benefits are worth the club requirement to join, but I can understand others feeling differently. I understand that even though in my 19 years in the club, I think I have only personally known one person to race in a single AMA/MA race, there are a significant minority of the club that do pursue that path each year. And there are marketing advantages to the CMRA being a direct pathway to MA racing.

Respectfully,
    Maybe something in this will help you understand.

http://forum.cmraracing.com/showthre...ned-to-my-CMRA
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)