MAR 31 - APR 2 Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Hallett Oklahoma

APR 28 - 30 MSR Houston - Angleton Texas

MAY 26 - 28 Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Hallett Oklahoma

JUN 30 - JUL 2 Motorsport Ranch - Cresson Texas

AUG 4 - 6 Eagles Canyon Raceway - Decatur Texas

AUG 25 - 27 Motorsport Ranch - Cresson Texas

SEPT 29 - OCT 1 Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Hallett Oklahoma

OCT 27 - 29 MSR Houston - Angleton Texas

(Detailed Schedule with Friday practice information TBA)
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Was COTA considered this year? If so, is it cost that is holding it back?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance Taylor View Post
    Was COTA considered this year? If so, is it cost that is holding it back?
    Yes COTA was considered. Cost and available dates are the primary obstacle. To put this in perspective the base rent for one day at COTA is more than the total expenses for a 3 day event at any of the venues we currently visit.

Does this mean we'll never race at COTA? All I can say is never say never.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Yes COTA was considered. Cost and available dates are the primary obstacle. To put this in perspective the base rent for one day at COTA is more than the total expenses for a 3 day event at any of the venues we currently visit.

Does this mean we'll never race at COTA? All I can say is never say never.
    Lets start that conversation early! I think you would garner racers from all Orgs (WERA, CCS & others) just like Barber does. I would think making up the cost would be easier than you think.

Thank you for the reply!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance Taylor View Post
    Lets start that conversation early! I think you would garner racers from all Orgs (WERA, CCS & others) just like Barber does. I would think making up the cost would be easier than you think.

Thank you for the reply!
    Rance,

The conversation has been ongoing for some time. There is little doubt that the first amateur motorcycle race event held at COTA would draw riders from all over the country. Unfortunately there is much to consider when trying to make it happen.

Scheduling is first on the list. We have to pick a date that works for us and COTA. Early in the season is better for us but later was better for COTA. We have more flexibility with our traditional dates early in the year than we do late in the year. Trading our late April round at MSRH is best for us but we also have to consider the schedules of other orgs like MotoAmerica WERA and CCS. If we hope to draw some of those riders in we need to avoid their traditional dates.

The next obstacle and frankly the largest is financing the event. WERA and CCS have premier track entry fees for tracks like Daytona and Barber. There is no question that entry fees will have to be higher for an event at COTA. Roughly 3/4 of the income from each event is generated at the event through post entry. The vast majority of the expenses for an event at COTA are front loaded meaning the rent is paid up front. Usually in three large payments, the first being due when the contract is signed and the final due before we ever turn a wheel. Rent for ECR, NOLA, and Heartland Park are paid in the same fashion but none of these venues are anywhere close to expense of COTA. We were working on a special deal with COTA for at least the first CMRA event there but unfortunately the person on their end is no longer there so we are back to square one.

Getting back to where we were in negotiations with COTA is the first step. Strong turnouts at our current events to rebuild our reserves is the next step. As cool as a CMRA event at COTA sounds we cannot put an entire season in jeopardy to hold one big event.

All that being said I'm confident that we will race at COTA at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Walter Walker; 10-13-2022 at 04:04 PM.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    Rance,

The conversation has been ongoing for some time. There is little doubt that the first amateur motorcycle race event held at COTA would draw riders from all over the country. Unfortunately there is much to consider when trying to make it happen.

Scheduling is first on the list. We have to pick a date that works for us and COTA. Early in the season is better for us but later was better for COTA. We have more flexibility with our traditional dates early in the year than we do late in the year. Trading our late April round at MSRH is best for us but we also have to consider the schedules of other orgs like MotoAmerica WERA and CCS. If we hope to draw some of those riders in we need to avoid their traditional dates.

The next obstacle and frankly the largest is financing the event. WERA and CCS have premier track entry fees for tracks like Daytona and Barber. There is no question that entry fees will have to be higher for an event at COTA. Roughly 3/4 of the income from each event is generated at the event through post entry. The vast majority of the expenses for an event at COTA are front loaded meaning the rent is paid up front. Usually in three large payments, the first being due when the contract is signed and the final due before we ever turn a wheel. Rent for ECR, NOLA, and Heartland Park are paid in the same fashion but none of these venues are anywhere close to expense of COTA. We were working on a special deal with COTA for at least the CMRA event there but unfortunately the person on their end is no longer there so we are back to square one.

Getting back to where we were in negotiations with COTA is the first step. Strong turnouts at our current events to rebuild our reserves is the next step. As cool as a CMRA event at COTA sounds we cannot put an entire season in jeopardy to hold one big event.

All that being said I'm confident that we will race at COTA at some point in the future.
    Awesome, If there is anything I can do to help I will.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    G2 Motorsports Park 2024............................

GrandSport Speedway, 2024?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Walter Walker; 11-30-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Steinhoff View Post
    GrandSport Speedway, 2024?

Never knew this track existed. Do they run bikes on it?
    BIGGIE

Neither did I, don’t know if they do. Website doesn’t indicate that they do.