Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Yellow Shirts in Big Bike Endurance #2

Norm McDonald

No Yellow Shirts in Big Bike Endurance #2

Prov. Novice (yellow shirts) will no longer be permitted to ride the CMRA Big Bike Endurance. With our full grids and the varying speeds as much as 50 mph or more the BOD agreed the would be less risk to all if new riders completed the requirements of 2 sprint race weekends without a crash and 2 corner working days to receive your Novice license. The CMRA has brought the Prov. Novice race back for 2006 to help get your confidence and your skills up to speed. We will have a Prov. Novice race at all race weekends. Norm

Norm McDonald

No Yellow Shirts in Big Bike Endurance #2

Prov. Novice (yellow shirts) will no longer be permitted to ride the CMRA Big Bike Endurance. With our full grids and the varying speeds as much as 50 mph or more the BOD agreed the would be less risk to all if new riders completed the requirements of 2 sprint race weekends without a crash and 2 corner working days to receive your Novice license. The CMRA has brought the Prov. Novice race back for 2006 to help get your confidence and your skills up to speed. We will have a Prov. Novice race at all race weekends. Norm

Re: No Yellow Shirts in Big Bike Endurance #2

Suggestion.
    Once the rider has completed what you have mentioned, should it still be required that the new rider still wear a yellow shirt if only to tell others that this is their first time out for endurance?
    Fifth Element Racing

Suggestion.
    Once the rider has completed what you have mentioned, should it still be required that the new rider still wear a yellow shirt if only to tell others that this is their first time out for endurance?
    Fifth Element Racing

Norm, bummer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] I ran the final race at TWS in October as my first and am in the process of lining up a ride for endurance next year. So this means I can't compete the first race... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Besides, what about the people that join the CMRA exclusively to run endurance?

Also, please explain the Novice race?
    '03 CBR600RR #959
    ------------------
    2000 World Supersport Champions Yamaha Alpha Technik
    #4 Jörg Teuchert
    #6 Christian Kellner

Norm, bummer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] I ran the final race at TWS in October as my first and am in the process of lining up a ride for endurance next year. So this means I can't compete the first race... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Besides, what about the people that join the CMRA exclusively to run endurance?

Also, please explain the Novice race?
    '03 CBR600RR #959
    ------------------
    2000 World Supersport Champions Yamaha Alpha Technik
    #4 Jörg Teuchert
    #6 Christian Kellner

I can understand the need for safety but at what point does it go to far? I raced my first endurance at TWS. Team: Yellow Shirt Racing. It was 3 yellow shirts. We placed 22 out of 47 teams and 6th out of 15 in the Superstock C class. One of our guys did the school at Oak Hill and ran 1 race. I did Hallet the round before. So experience was not in our favor. How is speed a concern when I slow C class bike runs the same speed as a moderate paced formula 1? Most of my excitement came from battleing it out with the SV's!! ButI don't see how it was dangerous. Actually the endurance is SAFER then sprints. Sprints go ALL OUT for 8 laps. Endurance there is no time limit. No one goes crazy... And the bright yellow shirt lets everyone know "HEY... don't Bump me, or Cut me off too close..."
    All my guys but one have dropped the shirt but I still disagree with this call. What about guys that just want to endurance? We are going to force them to sprint for 2 weekends so they can run the race they want? Maybe I am still new enough to not see the danger. Maybe I was a danger to others and didn't know it... But from the knowledge I have... My opinion is that's the wrong call.... But again.. that's just my .02

I can understand the need for safety but at what point does it go to far? I raced my first endurance at TWS. Team: Yellow Shirt Racing. It was 3 yellow shirts. We placed 22 out of 47 teams and 6th out of 15 in the Superstock C class. One of our guys did the school at Oak Hill and ran 1 race. I did Hallet the round before. So experience was not in our favor. How is speed a concern when I slow C class bike runs the same speed as a moderate paced formula 1? Most of my excitement came from battleing it out with the SV's!! ButI don't see how it was dangerous. Actually the endurance is SAFER then sprints. Sprints go ALL OUT for 8 laps. Endurance there is no time limit. No one goes crazy... And the bright yellow shirt lets everyone know "HEY... don't Bump me, or Cut me off too close..."
    All my guys but one have dropped the shirt but I still disagree with this call. What about guys that just want to endurance? We are going to force them to sprint for 2 weekends so they can run the race they want? Maybe I am still new enough to not see the danger. Maybe I was a danger to others and didn't know it... But from the knowledge I have... My opinion is that's the wrong call.... But again.. that's just my .02

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This is a great idea. Prov nov. should get a feel for competition racing in the Prov. nov. race and regular novice races before moving to endurance. The problem is that alot of guys enter the endurance race just to make laps. The rest are out there to give it all they have and win a race.

During the few endurance races I rode this year, I thought I entered the provisional novice race. A bunch of yellow shorts that were very new to the race track. It didn't bother me because the team I rode with just entered because we were bored and the grid was open. If I was trying to win the thing it would have been very difficult to do so without endangering many yellow shirts.

Newbees have to remember that they are on the track with many experienced experts that are racing as hard as they can to win these races for their team and sponsors. If a fast guy is racing with another fast guy and they enter the rattlesnake at Cresson. There is a group of yellow shirts entering the same corner, I don't know why I always see the yellow shirts in a pack together. One fast guy makes it by the pack before the group of corners. The other fast guy has to decide if its worth banging the slower riders out of the way or waiting until the next straight to pass the group.

If he waits, which most do, he loses about 10 seconds to the guy he was just battling with. It could take the rest of the hour to make up 10 seconds on a fast guy. Had this same group of riders been able to race sprint races and gotten up to speed before entering a endurance race, they would have been much quicker in the rattlesnack and a potential accident could be avoided.

I have no intentions of riding endurance anytime soon. So the decision doesn't bother me one bit. I would like to say that the BOD is making a good decision on this call. I know there is alot of prov. nov. that would disagree.

Consider this, whether your a fast yellow shirt or a slow yellow shirt. There are many yellow shirts in the endurance that are incredible slow. They are very dangerous to the faster riders. A yellow shirt that has never seen a track before and is riding a SV during the endurance is closed on very fast by teams like Northwest Honda.

Sometimes the closing speeds are so fast the guys have to run off track to miss them because they saw them to late. I know this because I had to do this many times during the 2000 season when I was riding for Team Green Kawasaki. Sometimes I would have sworn the slower rider was stopped on the side of the track, because the closing speeds were so fast.

So yellow shirts please don't take this personally by the BoD, but there is no way to seperate fast yellow shirts from slow yellow shirts. So all are one.
    Private lessons available at MSR and ECR
    One on One or groups up to 5 students
    Email typhoonpowersports@yahoo.com or visit me on Facebook.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This is a great idea. Prov nov. should get a feel for competition racing in the Prov. nov. race and regular novice races before moving to endurance. The problem is that alot of guys enter the endurance race just to make laps. The rest are out there to give it all they have and win a race.

During the few endurance races I rode this year, I thought I entered the provisional novice race. A bunch of yellow shorts that were very new to the race track. It didn't bother me because the team I rode with just entered because we were bored and the grid was open. If I was trying to win the thing it would have been very difficult to do so without endangering many yellow shirts.

Newbees have to remember that they are on the track with many experienced experts that are racing as hard as they can to win these races for their team and sponsors. If a fast guy is racing with another fast guy and they enter the rattlesnake at Cresson. There is a group of yellow shirts entering the same corner, I don't know why I always see the yellow shirts in a pack together. One fast guy makes it by the pack before the group of corners. The other fast guy has to decide if its worth banging the slower riders out of the way or waiting until the next straight to pass the group.

If he waits, which most do, he loses about 10 seconds to the guy he was just battling with. It could take the rest of the hour to make up 10 seconds on a fast guy. Had this same group of riders been able to race sprint races and gotten up to speed before entering a endurance race, they would have been much quicker in the rattlesnack and a potential accident could be avoided.

I have no intentions of riding endurance anytime soon. So the decision doesn't bother me one bit. I would like to say that the BOD is making a good decision on this call. I know there is alot of prov. nov. that would disagree.

Consider this, whether your a fast yellow shirt or a slow yellow shirt. There are many yellow shirts in the endurance that are incredible slow. They are very dangerous to the faster riders. A yellow shirt that has never seen a track before and is riding a SV during the endurance is closed on very fast by teams like Northwest Honda.

Sometimes the closing speeds are so fast the guys have to run off track to miss them because they saw them to late. I know this because I had to do this many times during the 2000 season when I was riding for Team Green Kawasaki. Sometimes I would have sworn the slower rider was stopped on the side of the track, because the closing speeds were so fast.

So yellow shirts please don't take this personally by the BoD, but there is no way to seperate fast yellow shirts from slow yellow shirts. So all are one.
    Private lessons available at MSR and ECR
    One on One or groups up to 5 students
    Email typhoonpowersports@yahoo.com or visit me on Facebook.