Thread: Need help with getting a license plate for a trailer

Need help with getting a license plate for a trailer

So I got a trailer from my mom to use for my bike. Its a small 6' trailer. She got it with a riding mower she bought. It has never had a license plate or anything. I dont have a title or any of that nonsense. How can I go about getting it legal? I tried looking at the TXDMV but its kinda confusing. Thanks!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Quote Originally Posted by David Robertson View Post
    So I got a trailer from my mom to use for my bike. Its a small 6' trailer. She got it with a riding mower she bought. It has never had a license plate or anything. I dont have a title or any of that nonsense. How can I go about getting it legal? I tried looking at the TXDMV but its kinda confusing. Thanks!
    You can register it as a homemade and then once you have that you can get plates for it.
    I did this for a small 2 rail dirt bike trailer that I bought but did not have a title for and wanted to put it on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Anderson View Post
    You can register it as a homemade and then once you have that you can get plates for it.
    I did this for a small 2 rail dirt bike trailer that I bought but did not have a title for and wanted to put it on the street.
    This.

Did it just a few months ago. The clerks are very helpful when I was there

Quote Originally Posted by Quan Luu View Post
    This.

Did it just a few months ago. The clerks are very helpful when I was there
    awesome, thanks for the advice! I will try and go the homemade route.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Anderson View Post
    x3.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Since the trailer is under 4000lbs then you don't have to do the inspection just the registration

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Partee View Post
    Since the trailer is under 4000lbs then you don't have to do the inspection just the registration
    I was told over 4500 lbs then a safety inspection is required from the clerk when i was doing my trucks a few months ago.
    I guess I'll find out for sure around June.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    and it is also gross weight, so the weight of the trailer fully loaded. I just did this last week when (finally) transferring a title from Florida. The trailer weight was 2400 as listed on the title, but she asked what the weight was of whatever I was going to load into it.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org